But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

6.6.12


When people ask me what my favourites are, be it music or band or actor or film or book, I almost immediately answer things like alternative or Mayday Parade or Freddie Highmore or Inception or Harry Potter. But every time I say that, it seems like something's wrong, like something's missing.

I've been thinking about this missing piece for a while now, and I think I've finally arrived at the answer.

It's not that alternative music or Mayday Parade or Freddie Highmore or Inception or Harry Potter aren't my favourites, but they probably came to mind because they're my current interest. It's because they're on my mind almost all the time for that period of time, and they're the first that pops into my head. Obviously, my sub-concious mind can't differentiate between current interests and all-time favourites. I'm not answering your questions properly, so to speak. If you want the correct answer to those questions, and not just what currently occupies most of my mind, you need to give me some time to mull things over.

While I thought about those things, I realise that I come to love those under-appreciated. Under-appreciated characters, under-appreciated songs, under-appreciated band members, under-appreciated books. Even if I'm not too fond of that particular book or singer or whatever, I still tend to appreciate certain elements of it that I find deserving of respect. There are exceptions, however. But the majority that holds my heart are the underdogs. They're the ones who deserve more love than they get.

I mean, I came up with these answers by asking myself why I love the things that I do. Some - well, most - of my friends give me the impression that they love the things they do just because it's the 'in' thing to love. I don't. I try to keep that to a minimum, if it needs to exist in myself. Why love the things just because your friends fangirl over it? Did you trade your love or appreciation for temporary popularity? It doesn't last, you know. And anyway, I'd much rather fangirl internally or by myself and have my friends sit beside me and stare at me blankly because they have no idea what I'm talking about, but they stay put because they get it - that I love the subject I'm fangirling about -, instead of having my friends accept me only because I pretend to enjoy the same things they do. If they can't accept your interests and passion, then they're not friends.

But you probably already know that.

This is becoming a rant, and I really don't want to spoil my mood. It's raining, I'm in an incredibly comfortable state and I have my favourites - real favourites this time, I mean it - on shuffle.

But that's okay. Why should I nose around people's business anyway? It's a waste of my time. Let them love what they love, regardless if they're aware of what it may or may not bring. I'll love what I want to love. And right now, I want to love this naturally rare chilled weather and James Morrison's sexy voice accompanied with a lovely piano and guitar arrangement of Broken Strings and my ever lovely duvet.